THE RHONDDA BOY

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

THE RHONDDA BOY

Postby daveporthcawl » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Forum readers will probably be interested in a newly published book, THE RHONDDA BOY by DAVID LLOYD EVANS. David was born in Fir Street in 1931and he conveys a fascinating insight of Ferndale life, especially the late 30s and the 40s. I was born in adjoining Pine Street in 1932 so we spent a lot of time together as kids and teenagers. The vivid descriptions and photos of typical Rhondda life accurately reflect a close community making the best of difficult times before, during and after World War 2. Old Ferndalians will likely remember the people, places and events mentioned in his book. David and I lost touch in 1949 but strangely both moved to Porthcawl on retirement. I contacted him via the FORUM in 2013 when he, writing as “evanvale”, gave enough specific details to reveal his identity. Since then we meet regularly and enjoy our trips down Memory Lane, where much of those early years remain firmly imprinted. His book provides the appropriate milestones on that journey………..an excellent read which I am pleased to review.
Copies of the book can be obtained from the FERNDALE ARTS FACTORY on 01443 757954 email info@artsfactory.co.uk
Or by emailing David directly on davidevanvale@aol.com
Season’s Greetings to all Forum readers and of course to Mochyn who kindly launched it.
David Lewis
daveporthcawl

Re: THE RHONDDA BOY

Postby brianblaenboy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Thank you David, that'll give me something to think about. Out of curiosity, did you know my parents who may have at one time lived in Fir Street, where I don't know - Alwyn and Clare Evans. This was before they lived in Commercial Street, Blaenllechau? This has always been in the back of my mind, more so since I have a photo of my Dad's younger brother, Emlyn (lost on 17 June 1940 when HMT Lancastria was bombed at St Nazaire) which could have been taken in either of the two streets, with him delivering milk!

I wish I'd asked more questions!

NADOLIG LLAWEN A BLWYDDYN NEWYDD DDA!

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby mochyn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:16 pm

daveporthcawl wrote:... Season’s Greetings to all Forum readers and of course to Mochyn who kindly launched it.

Thanks David, nice to know that you get some enjoyment from it. And it's great to hear that people meet via the forum. It's exactly what prompted me to launch it actually. Through the forum on the original ferndale-wales.co.uk (not this one) I made contact with my second cousin, Sheila. Although we'd never met previously, I have happy memories of visiting her parents when I was a kid.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby mochyn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Oh yes, I meant to say thanks for the information on the book. I'll certainly buy a copy.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby evandale » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Brian,
Did you live in North Road before you moved away.
evandale

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:42 pm

Yes, 142 to be exact. Moved from Blaenllechau around 1958/59. Left in 1963 to join the Army, and have moved a lot ever since.
brianblaenboy

Postby evandale » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:35 pm

BRIAN,
Small world, I am Dave Evans who lived at 144 North Road, moved there in 1959, I was very friendly with your
father Alwyn.I also remember the times you came home on leave from the army. where is David your brother now.
I have many fond memories of your mother and father. I left Ferndale in 1986 to live in Porthcawl.
Alwyn and Clare lived at 19 fir street in the 1930's
Hope you are keeping well.

To subscribers to the Forum.
My book "THE RHONDDA BOY " is available from the Ferndale Arts Factory. - Tel - 01443757954.
evandale

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi Dave - yes I remember you, from memory, tall, dark hair and I believe worked not far away - not in the pits? Nurse Michael (I think that was her name) lived between us, she was a friend of the piano teacher who lived a bit further up the road.
Last I heard of David was he was living in Chester area somewhere, my other brother, Allen, passed away about 10 years ago. We never kept in touch with each other, the last time I saw both was at my mother's funeral in 1997.
Many thanks for the address in Fir Street, I'm now wondering if the photo of Emlyn was taken outside their house - will have to have a look.
Best wishes to you for the New Year.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby angel58 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:40 pm

evandale wrote:BRIAN,
Small world, I am Dave Evans who lived at 144 North Road, moved there in 1959, I was very friendly with your
father Alwyn.I also remember the times you came home on leave from the army. where is David your brother now.
I have many fond memories of your mother and father. I left Ferndale in 1986 to live in Porthcawl.

My book "THE RHONDDA BOY " is available from the Ferndale Arts Factory. - Tel - 01443757954.
angel58

Postby angel58 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 pm

angel58 wrote:
evandale wrote:BRIAN,

hi dave ..... did you know margaret{maggie] matthews and david[dai] matthews... they lived at 164 north road... they had three children eirian rhoswen and a brother...
angel58

Return to History