Horace Hughes MC - A 1st World War Hero

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Horace Hughes MC - A 1st World War Hero

Postby Soccerdragons » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:43 am

Does anyone on the forum have any information regarding Horace Hughes, who won the Military Cross in the First World War in Italy in 1917? Horace's family ran a well-known Butcher's Shop in Ferndale for many years through the 1900's. His father - David Hughes - had started the business in the early years of the 1900's and he ran it into the 1950's. I think that his sons were also involved - Hubert and Horace. The family lived at No.4, The Strand in Ferndale. Horace went to school in Porth and later to St.Catherine's College, Cambridge around 1915. He joined the Welsh Regiment in 1916 and served in France, before he secured a commission as 2/Lieutenant in the Norfolk Regiment in 1917. I would really like to find a photograph of Horace and any details regarding his later life. I know that he died in 1966 whilst living in Porthcawl. I don't think that he ever married, but I may be wrong. I am told that he is one of only two winners of the Military Cross who came from Ferndale. I live in Cardiff, so could easily come to Ferndale to see anyone who might be able to help with my research. Thanks in advance for anyone's help and interest.
Soccerdragons

Re: Horace Hughes MC - A 1st World War Hero

Postby Tonyjvu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm new here, but have a intrest in the Great War and regullary take part in Living history and Commerations. Next year is the 100th anniversary of the First Day of the battle of the Somme. So if you have any more info I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Tonyjvu

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:18 pm

You may have already tried these but details of the award of the MC will be listed in the London Gazette at the time of the award, and try contacting the Royal Norfolk Regiment Museum as well. As he changed regiments on receiving his commission, I doubt if there is any information now held at the Museum in Brecon which is where much of The Welch Regiment archives were moved to when the Cardiff museum became a joint project between Queens Dragoon Guards and The Welch Regiment, now called The Firing Line. Hope this is of some help.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby Soccerdragons » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks to both of the lads who have replied with some ideas. I have quite a lot of research already on Horace Hughes and his military career. What I am really hoping to find is anyone who might have an image of him, or an old image of the butchers shop that the family used to run on the The Strand in Ferndale. I also would like to find out more about him and what he did in his later years. Many thanks again.
Soccerdragons

Return to History