Attitudes towards birth control in South Wales 1918-39

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Attitudes towards birth control in South Wales 1918-39

Postby gabibush1996 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Hello everyone!
I am a third year history student at Cardiff University, I have begun working on my history dissertation, its working title is 'Attitudes towards birth control in South Wales 1918-39' - i'm really interested in women's history in this time of deprivation and poverty. My dissertation will include oral history because of the nature of the topic and the lack of written sources, it was 'very hush hush'. I know none of you will have been mothers and fathers having babies during this time but you may have stories and experiences of your parents and grandparents that you could share with me. I've had some really good information so far but my tutor has suggested that i widen my network.
A 92 year old lady recently told me that birth control was secret and that the most common method was 'to buy a ticket to Newport and get off at Cross Keys or better knows as coitus interuptus'. If any of you would would be happy to talk to me or answer some questions could you please message me!

Thank you
Gabi :D
gabibush1996

Re: Attitudes towards birth control in South Wales 1918-39

Postby mochyn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Good luck Gabi, I hope you find some useful information. Personally, I'm far too young to give you any useful information, but it might be relevant to say that my father was one of 9 children born between 1919 (my father) and 1940, all but one of them born in Ferndale.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Return to History