Ferndale doctors

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Ferndale doctors

Postby GaryCLockyer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:23 pm

I was thinking about going to my local doctor a few days ago which reminded me of some of the doctors I went to in Ferndale.
In no particular order, the ones that sprang to mind were:-
Drs Williams and Jones, whose surgery was between the chemists and The Rhondda hotel. Maureen Maxwell lived there.
Drs Brian Davies, Mitra and later Dr Sengupta in a surgery on Duffryn Street. Sengupta later moved to the clinic in Oakland Tce.
There was a crazy doctor from North Wales that came and joined Brian Davies practice. He would smoke right through your consultation - but I cant remember his name. He and Dr Davies also ran a surgery in Maerdy, opposite the police station, where the buses turned around.
Dr Plant whose surgery was near Barclays bank.
Was it Dr Maxwell that lived and worked next door to the old Post Office in Rhondda Road? he also did dentistry. At least he pulled one of my teeth. He took me into the dentistry room, gave my an injection and then forgot about me. I had to get out of the chair and go and remind him that I was still there.
Any more that I have forgotten you are welcome to add.

Gary
GaryCLockyer

Re: Ferndale doctors

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Good day Gary,
How's things down under these days? I remember that little surgery and both the doctors. In fact, my late father gave Dr Jones a bottle of Scotch for - in his view- saving his life. He had bronchial-pneumonia, was in a very bad way, it was a winter somewhere around 1955/57, and Dr Jones decided not to send for an ambulance. When he recovered and gave the Scotch, Dad said he could see the Doctor through the mirror wondering to risk the ambulance or not, so thanked him for making the right decision. I don't recall the other names, but I joined up in 1963, so have forgotten if Dr Jones & Dr Williams were still there then.

In the last 18 months or so I've learnt that the Catholic Church was up for sale, Nazareth Chapel in Blaen was as well, and hadn't been sold.

Take care and best wishes.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Return to History