Mine Maps

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Mine Maps

Postby debambury » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi All

Thank You for allowing me to join your forum.

I'm hoping to be moving to the area in the next few weeks (fingers crossed house sale/purchase goes through) and I'm interested in finding details and maps of the mines in the area, Can anyone help? I already enjoy Family History and my research to date has mainly been around the Llantrisant area, where my family still live.

I hope I will be able to help members from further afield as I go about my own search of the area and look forward to reading up and finding out more about the history of my new home town.

Regards Debs
debambury

Re: Mine Maps

Postby mochyn » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 pm

debambury wrote:Thank You for allowing me to join your forum.

You're most welcome in the forum, I hope you find it useful.

Alan
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby debambury » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Thank You Alan

Have just spent an enjoyable hour reading through the posts, I feel like I know the area already!! was only there a week ago so all the street names are still fresh in my mind. I love local history and can't wait to explore, are there any local history groups?? I am a member of the Glamorgan Rootsweb site (and other family history sites) so if any questions can't be answered by group members happy to ask on there.

Looking good for a quick move and can't wait to be there, fingers crossed.

Debs
debambury

Postby mamgu01 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:19 am

Hi Debs.
Welcome to the forum, I am sure someone will help you find what you want. I thought
I recognized your name, I saw it on the Glam list.
Ann, Ontario, Canada.
mamgu@ebtech.net
mamgu01

Postby debambury » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:26 am

Thanks Ann, yes I am a member of several Family History sites and have transcribed various records so if I can be of help to the group in the future I would be most willing. I will post a message on the Ancestry board with details of records I hold (alot of Monmouthshire) for any look ups but will have to be when I am settled, its all abit rushed at present and not enough hours in the day.

I was interested in the maps as I wondered if my new home was built near them, but as yet the mines seem to be the other side of the valley. I also have been longly looking at the mountain across the road at Tegfan and can't wait to set off walking there and eondered what I might find.

Debs
debambury

Postby Becca54 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Debbs,

Hope your move goes well, I use the Rootsweb list and I am a Family History nut. I indexed the burials at Penrhys Cemetery and helped with Ferndale Cemetery too.

Regards

David Jones
Becca54

Postby debambury » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks David

You'll have to let me know how I can help in the future, when I've settled of course and I do have the house and garden to do up, but I hope to be able to spend alot more time on Family History in the future, saying that I have 3 boxes of files already to move!!

Debs
debambury

Postby darran » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Debs

I wish you all the best with your move - but you've got me puzzled! I assumed you are moving to Ferndale or Blaenllechau but I can't remember Tegfan that you referred to. Which mountain is it?

Also, you asked about coal mines. This link lists the mines when you scroll on the left and you would probably want the Glamorgan East part.

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/Photo.htm

Sheila
darran

Postby debambury » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Thank You for that link I will take a look.

Tegfan is north Ferndale on the way to Maerdy, its the mountain/hills on the left handside above Highfields, it probably doesn't have a name just a local name.

Thanks again Debs
debambury

Postby RogerWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm

debambury wrote:Thank You for that link I will take a look.

Tegfan is north Ferndale on the way to Maerdy, its the mountain/hills on the left handside above Highfields, it probably doesn't have a name just a local name.

Thanks again Debs

Hi Debs
There seems to be some confusion about pit numbers in Ferndale.
Take a look at some old maps on Flicker.
The nearest to Tegfan is:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/thereggy/3211077084/
There are a few maps of Ferndale so you should be able to count the shafts.
The slopes on the other side of the valley from Tegfan/Highfield are treacherous. Be careful if you intend to climb them.
Not even sheep roam that area. (As far as remember.....and just checked on Google street view, it's still the same.) If you do decide to go up there go via Ffaldau farm. I was last that way in 1968 there are a few trees grown since then.
If it's Tegfan side you want to climb, go up behing the water towers behind Ffaldau following the sheep paths. (if they're still there)
RogerWood

Next

Return to History