census for 1881

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

census for 1881

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:45 pm

According to the Blaenllechau census for 1881, my ancestors lived in Underhill Cottages - and having delivered papers around the village, I never heard the name - does anyone have any idea?
brianblaenboy

Re: census for 1881

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:25 pm

brianblaenboy wrote:According to the Blaenllechau census for 1881, my ancestors lived in Underhill Cottages - and having delivered papers around the village, I never heard the name - does anyone have any idea?

Dunno actually Brian, but could they be the terrace at the top of Aberdare Road? Google map now just shows the footprint, but I remember these houses being occupied when we were kids, and actually one got completely gutted by a fire mainly 'cos the engine did not have enough hose to reach the mains water. I well remember having a morbid curiosity about the dog trapped in the rear bedroom quite dead and roasted - clearly visible through the missing roof from the hillside at the rear.

It is clearly visible on the 1898 map Here
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:13 pm

John I remember those houses at the top, especially as I'd just walked up the mountain and delivered papers to the "Owens" House which had a stand pipe outside - the people at the top walked down to get their water if I remember correctly.

There were a couple of houses underneath the Bridge near Baptist Square and as there were three parts of the family all living in seperate buildings with that address - it could be them.

As it happens, they then moved by the 1891 census to Wind Street and with my Grandfather living with his maternal uncle and aunt at No 7; his paternal uncle and aunt at No 8; and the other paternal uncle, his wife and 7 children living at No 9.

Thanks for the map - I've never been any good at doing a lot of this computer stuff - letters/articles/spreadsheets not a problem but much of this is totally beyond me.

Iechydd

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:24 am

Thing is are you sure Wind Street is a different address? High St used to be called Pontypridd Road, and North Street used to be called Ardwyn Terrace, Lake Street - Wellfield.

These old maps (1875) are quite revealing showing why Brook street is called Brook Street, and the stream which has clearly been culverted all the way down to the river!! When Fountain Street and Maxwell Street ended in fields across the brook!!
JohnPitt

Postby Becca54 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:38 am

My Grandfather was born in Pit Row in 1880.

Pit Row was re-named George Street.
Becca54

Postby brianblaenboy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:54 am

John, I had the opportunity of reading the census returns for 1871/1881/1891 for Blaenllechau in full and of course, my aim was to trace back when my ancestors lived so the information I have was taken from them. In hindsight I wish I had looked at the names of the other streets because then I could have traced the locations properly.

Iechydd

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby Becca54 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 am

From the 1881 census this is the way it was subscibed, those of you from Blaen may be able to work out the route.

Blaenllechau Farm, Underhill, Wind Street, Danygraig, Eleanor Street, George Street, Bristol Shop, Dolwern Cottages, Glyn Cottages, Station Terrace, Coldstream Terrace, Taff Terrace Huts, Commercial Street. Blaenllechau Road, Aberdare Road, Long Row, Albert Place, Long Row, Chapel Row, Baptist Square, Tirbach Cottages, Felinfoil Cottages, Glenview Cottages, Bwfflon Cottages, Middle Row, Luton Street, Princess Street, Mountain Row, Mountain Huts, Mountain Row, Aberdare Road, Dyffryn Ferndale.

David
Becca54

Owens house - mountain huts

Postby crazyteacher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 pm

I am searching for information about any relatives of the Owens that lived in the mountain huts. My grandmother, Elizabeth Owens. She moved to America in 1884 with her mother, Mary (Prothero) Owens, brother Thomas and sister Emily. My grandmother was born in 1880. Her father David moved to America about 1882. My grandmother, mother, brothers (William was too ill to come to America) and sister moved to Abedare when David left to live with Mary's mother, Emilia (Jones Prothero) and her husband William Rosser.
I would love to find out more about my Owens line or information any ones has. I have found many of my Prothero line and we have connected and love keeping in touch.
Thanks for any help. Jane Knowles Hall :D
crazyteacher2@aol.com
crazyteacher

Return to History