Told you, another general view of Ferndale

Use this forum to post images of Ferndale, old and new. I don't have the capacity to allow users to post images directly to the forum I'm afraid so you'll have to host them somewhere else.

Re: Told you, another general view of Ferndale

Postby RogerWood » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:12 pm

A question for you John.
A building in Pleasant Hill, now used as the Army Cadet Hall, I believe used to be the Sally Army.
Can you confirm this. AND was it a Chapel before the SA.

RogerWood

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:50 pm

RogerWood wrote:A question for you John.
A building in Pleasant Hill, now used as the Army Cadet Hall, I believe used to be the Sally Army.
Can you confirm this. AND was it a Chapel before the SA.

Roger I can vaguely remember the SA here but I also equally vaguely remember coming here to collect Christmas postal delivery as a sort of tempory sorting office, when students could have a nice little earner for christmas money in the 10 day run up to Christmas delivering the post!

I'll ask my Sis when I see her if she knows more.
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:57 pm

On the subject of Pleasant Hill, the back lane was never the classy end of town, and my Father's Mouse Farm was just 3 large sheds clad with corrugated sheets and across the Lane on the other side was Rossiters sawmill turning Railway sleepers into firewood almost 24/7.

Now its a pristine vegetable garden of a brand new 21st C house and what a view they've got and what soil they've inherited - years and years of lime, straw, and mouse dung!
... and Rossiter's? Just a bricked up loading bay and door and steel covered entranceway.
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 am

JohnPitt wrote: ..... I'll ask my Sis when I see her if she knows more.

Well it seems this place has been a cadet hall since WW2. Anything further back is beyond our memory, but clearly the style and foundation stones mean it was once a denominational chapel - but which??
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 pm

I'll have to get somebody to go along and write down the info from the foundation stones.
RogerWood

Previous

Return to Images of Ferndale