Photo Ferndale Grammar School sports Team 1947

Use this forum to post images of Ferndale, old and new. I don't have the capacity to allow users to post images directly to the forum I'm afraid so you'll have to host them somewhere else.

Re: Photo Ferndale Grammar School sports Team 1947

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Dave, if you went in the Radical Club in the 40's, then you ,must have known my grandfather, EVAN JOHN EVANS, but was known as EVAN JOHN LAWRENCE, as he was brought up by his uncle and aunt in Wind Street, he would have been around 61/2 in 1940? Tall bloke with a moustache and rumour has it he could have been one of the founder members of the Club, can't prove that though.
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby mochyn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:55 pm

We're going back a little further here, but I come across this photo from time to time, which shows the "Blaenllechau Radical Rifle Team: Winners of Shield and Medals 1912 - 13":

http://archive.rhondda-cynon-taf.gov.uk ... O30=&pg=27

Note there's a "Larger image" link underneath the picture.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 am

Well done for that photo, the names John Evans and David John Harris are familiar. John Evans could have been my grandfather's uncle, but with such a common name, who knows? David John Harris, there was a cousin at my grandfather's funeral, with the name of Harris, must check - also there was a Harris living in Commercial Street when I was a kid, about No 20 or 21?
The other photo is of Long Row and features in the book, "Green, Black & Back". I walked down that street delivering the South Wales Echo so many times, through the wind, rain, and snow, I think it cost the old 2 and half pence at the time??Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby daveporthcawl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 am

Brian
Regret I cannot recollect your grandfather Evan John but I was only 15 at the time of my visit when I was one of a junior snooker team from the Workman's Hall on a one-off. I do recall two things...............one was that the drinks were delivered from the upstairs bar via a small lift..............the other was a very skilful one armed snooker player from the Radical. Another good billiards player from Blaen was Dick Jones aka Dick North, father of Kerrigan and husband of Marie (a professional singer).
Do you remember the Bailey Brothers.........Percy and Ken?
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Dave, back of my mind recalls one-armed snooker player, don't know name. Kerrigan Jones moved into No 14 Commercial Street, next door to my grandparents, with his wife and if memory serves me correct, his first son was called Mark and he had a mobility disability from birth? they then moved to Oak street in Ferndale. Again, back of the mind job, was Kerrigan Jones with the Fire Brigade? Bailey brothers - name is definitely familiar, I think there were Baileys living top of Commercial Street near the shops on the Glyn - such is the value of delivering papers in such a small community in those days!!!
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby howard » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Dave/Brian

Back when I was in the lower junior school we sometimes used to hear the singing coming down from Blaen as Marie North
went through her rehearsal routines! Later I knew Kerrigan as a particularly good mechanic, and willing to help on
many other household maintenance jobs.

regards

Howard
howard

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

Howard, thanks, I have just twigged Marie North - lived in Davis Street, just behind Nazareth Chapel? The power of the internet is amazing.
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby daveporthcawl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Brian
Blaen panorama. As I lived in Pine Street Left hand side going down) until I was 14, I spent much time gazing from our back window across at Blaen in all its glory. In the Spring the back garden of the top house in Aberdare Road was a huge splash of yellow daffodils which the owner sold off for a penny a bunch. Your main view from Blaen would have been the five Streets............Fir, Pine, Elm Oak and Church. I once made a paper aeroplane which I launched from Pine Street and with a good wind landed high up Blaen mountain.
You mentioned your Welch Regiment Blazer Badge so I presume you spent some time in Maindy Barracks. I was on attachment there in 54 for my last nine months service ...............great times and I gained some favour from the RSM after giving him some much needed tuition on the Sgts Mess snooker table. I also often visited the 5th Welch TA in Pontypridd..........8 miles from home.
All the best...........glad to hear from you Howard.........did you like the 1947 FGS photos?
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby howard » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Dave

Yes thanks I've enjoyed the FGS photos thanks,though remember fhe faces better than the names these days. Also remember Gwilym
the barbers, who you mentioned,around town - though Rees around the corner from the Rhondda hotel was my usual choice for a haircut!

regards

Howard
howard

Postby TomPritch » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:24 pm

I am surprised at the number of posts resulting from the sports team photo.The majority have nothing to do with the photo or the people on it. The boys on the photo would probably have been born between 1929 and 1934 and if any other than me are still alive they will be aged between 76 and 82ish. I know that Griff Thomas,John Jones and Ray Taylor have passed away but I would like to know what happened to Ron Ninnis,Lewis{Lugo} Rees and any one else on the Photo.
TomPritch
TomPritch

Previous

Return to Images of Ferndale