Ferndale infants, 1928

Use this forum to post images of Ferndale, old and new. I don't have the capacity to allow users to post images directly to the forum I'm afraid so you'll have to host them somewhere else.

Ferndale infants, 1928

Postby mochyn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Any faces on here you recognize?

Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Re: Ferndale infants, 1928

Postby darran » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the pics, some similar to others I've seen.
Infants school I think must be North Rd Infants as I can't picture that background up at Darran Infants. My Dad would have been 5 and his older brother 8 in 1928 but I don't recognise them there.

The general view shows the plateau top well and the woods in the park. Imagine when all the valleys were covered in woods like that. The allotments created in the war behind Darran Terrace and Brynhyfryd are also clear. The disturbed part of the upper slopes on the left side of the photo are old coal levels and there was the remains of a stone hut there when we used to play there. I am so glad conifers weren't planted on 'our' mountain!

Darran Park - lots of activity going on here, making the playing field, building the paths around the lake. Grandstand built. Tennis courts in action. My favourite court was the bottom one near the lake, I think I probably spent every day of the summer holidays on those courts until I had to get holiday jobs when a student. Anyone know what those two round structures are beyond the lake on the right?

Sheila
darran

Return to Images of Ferndale