Inside the Workmen's Institute, Ferndale

Use this forum to post images of Ferndale, old and new. I don't have the capacity to allow users to post images directly to the forum I'm afraid so you'll have to host them somewhere else.

Re: Inside the Workmen's Institute, Ferndale

Postby bobjones1938 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I stand corrected Dave, of course it was Burrell. I too started at the City - even had my own cue!!!! and earned pennies scoring when they played Billiard Skittles on Table 5. I then moved on to the Workmes and even "held the rest" when Joe Davis played an exhibition there.
I had completely forgotten about Maxwell street - I was a regular there from around 15 on, mostly playing cards with John Macarthy and Kenny Beasley????. Downstairs I even played in Whist Drives with my mother - I used to get some serious glares from the oldies wen I made a mistake.
bobjones1938

Postby lizziemg » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:40 pm

I first went on stage while in Ferndale Juniors at the Workmen's Hall in a scene from Dick Whittington (I was the fairy queen and Dick was played by Mair Caradog). I was also in HMS Pinafore (yes, it was put on by Trerhondda Chapel) with Sarah Winnie Williams playing, I think, Sir Joseph Porter or was it the captain? I was one of the sisters & cousins & aunts and wore a pink dress and bonnet with blue ribbon trim - I hated pink! I also performed there with the Rhondda Orchestra conducted by Dai Lloyd (during one of his sober moments). I played cello next to Ritchie Roberts.
Other memories of the workmen's hall: my father used to play billiards and took me there when I was about 3 years old. Because I was a good girl and sat quietly while the men played I used to get threepences (or sixpences if I was lucky) from his mates. I also joined the library and remember the ferocious librarian who put the fear of god into us if we whispered. I was a regular cinema goer; Later I started going to the Wednesday evening Old-Tyme dancing and the Saturday night dances. There was a live four piece band but, on Saturdays, they used to have a break and put records on so we could jive.
I believe there used to be a swimming pool in the basement before they laid a new dance floor.
lizziemg

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:07 am

lizziemg wrote:
I first went on stage while in Ferndale Juniors at the Workmen's Hall in a scene from Dick Whittington (I was the fairy queen and Dick was played by Mair Caradog). I was also in HMS Pinafore (yes, it was put on by Trerhondda Chapel) with Sarah Winnie Williams playing, I think, Sir Joseph Porter or was it the captain? I was one of the sisters & cousins & aunts and wore a pink dress and bonnet with blue ribbon trim - I hated pink! I also performed there with the Rhondda Orchestra conducted by Dai Lloyd (during one of his sober moments). I played cello next to Ritchie Roberts. ...........

Well you have kept quiet about your continued love of the Theatre Mary both local stuff at Caerwent and National theatre of Wales. It's nice to see that your current face is still very recognisable as the young Mary Thomas despite the years and the name changes.
I finally tracked down your facebook page, but had to go outside of FB to do it because not only is your +1add friend switched off, but even your name! Yet I could ask any of your friends to be my friend. So that's fine I understand your privacy setting.

I love the Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, we've gone to all of them many more than twice we had a very good HMS Pinafore in one of the local towns near here in Devon - every bit as good as this U-tube clip with The Rt. Hon. Sir Joseph Porter, KCB, First Lord of the Admiralty, with his sisters and his cousins and his aunts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpJ_IAUs ... re=related
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:07 am

John, based on what I remember of Mary at school, I can assure you that her ability to put meaning into reading poetry started at a young age, so I am not surprised at all.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:13 am

brianblaenboy wrote:John, based on what I remember of Mary at school, I can assure you that her ability to put meaning into reading poetry started at a young age, so I am not surprised at all.

Brian

Nor me either. I was merely pointing out that Liz hasn't mentioned her role in short films like "Pontypridd Tales - The Legend of Don Williams" and the "Outsider" and other stuff which has gathered not a few accolades - that's all.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:34 am

We learn something new every day John. But that is the downside of moving away from home when you join up in the Forces, you lose touch with all what happens back home.
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:07 am

During the 50's when I was going to the Lower school I remember that all of us kids went to the Workmans for the Christmas Show. There were heaps of cartoons and movies to watch but most importantly we each received what seemed like a huge gift bag. It would contain everything from a comic to sweets plus a game of some sort.
We never even thought to ask where they all came from, they were there on the seats or we were handed them when we went in.
I now wonder if this was a part of the Institute's good work or did all of our parents get asked to donate.
Any ideas ??
GaryLockyer

Previous

Return to Images of Ferndale