Another mystery Ferndale couple: who are they?

Not quite sure what I think this forum is for. Old photos and stories of interesting Ferndale folk? Mystery photos of people? Let me know what you think.

Re: Another mystery Ferndale couple: who are they?

Postby mochyn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks, I'll look forward to reading it. One branch of my family also originated in Pembrokeshire. My g-g-grandfather was Gwynne Thomas, born near Mathry in 1839, and he ended his days in Fountain Street, Ferndale, the day after a roof fall in Ferndale Colliery in 1893. See http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/database/result/3859.html (though his death certificate says he died 11th October, not the 10th).
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby snooky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 am

mochyn wrote:Here's another photo that came to me from my parents. This would also be about mid-1940s. Any idea who they might be? I've another photo of the girl in the photo, I'll see if I can find it....

there was a FLorrie in my family somewhere...and Ginny & Tom Lawrence from Fir St.were my Grandfather's family. Can't remember the house no. but she had a sister 'Liz living in Bryngolau, married to 'Ted (son's Graham & Granville) ....sorry it's vague...:-(
snooky

Postby mochyn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 am

snooky wrote:sorry it's vague

No problem, these little pieces of information sometimes fit together all of a sudden. Thanks fo the extra snippet.

My sister was born at 37 Bryngoleu in 1946 at our great-grandfather's house. He was Thomas Thomas.
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby lovelygirll » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Snooky

Ginny was my Aunty, she and Lizzie were my father's sisters. My family lived in Oakland Terrace, so we must be related ?? My father's family lived in Bryngolau, as did Aunty Liz and Uncle Ted.
lovelygirll

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

My "Lawrence" connection is based on the 1881 and 1891 census for Blaenllechau.
Thomas Lawrence (43), wife Jane (40, maiden name not known but from Aberdare) and daughters Elizabeth (13) & Mary (8) lived in Underhill Cottages in 1881. Elizabeth Evans (66, maiden name Lawrence from Pembrey, Carmarthenshire) lived with sons David (26), Samuel (21) and grandson Evan John (1) in seperate house at Underhill Cottages. Elizabeth's other son John and his family lived in a third house at Underhill Cottages.

In 1891 census, these three sets of families are now living in Wind Street:-
No 7 = Thomas Lawrence (54), Wife Jane (50) and Evan John (11):
No 9 = John Evans & Family, (seven children):
No 8 = Samuel Evans (31) and wife Selina (30 who is listed as coming from Easton, Somerset).

As I've said, probably nothing to do with your "Lawrence" connection.

Trust this is of interest.
brianblaenboy

Postby mochyn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34 pm

mochyn wrote:
evandale wrote:I am almost sure the man in the photograph is the son of the Lawrence family ,
they lived at No 13, Fir Street, I cannot remember his name.
I was born on the opposite side of the street at No 17, in 1931.

Thanks, I shall look into that possibility and report back to you. And thanks for all your fascinating posts, you've brought a little momentum to proceedings.

I was just looking at the 1937 electoral register for Ferndale for the purposes of another post, so I looked at Fir Street too, and the information you gave me is further confirmed. At 13 Fir Street (exactly as you suggested) are Thomas and Catherine Jane Lawrence. I also see what must be your family at 17, David and Margaret Evans. Does that all sound right?

Thanks again for you help, albeit a while back now. It's fantastic to add names to the photos my mother and father kept. I assume they must have cared about the people to keep their photos.
mochyn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to People of Ferndale