NOTABLE RELATIVES

Not quite sure what I think this forum is for. Old photos and stories of interesting Ferndale folk? Mystery photos of people? Let me know what you think.

NOTABLE RELATIVES

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Based on comments on other threads, this may be a way of people finding out more of those we all knew during our young days in Ferndale and Blaenllechau, so here goes:-

My father's aunt, Mary Ann Evans, lived in 19 Oak Street, and two of her children, Gwilym and Olwen, both had (the only way I can say this), a defomity on their back, I think Gwilym had a club foot as well. However, Gwilym was at some point the correspondent for the Rhondda Leader, certainly in the early 50's. His brother William John lived in Elm Street, and had one of the small three-wheelers disability vehicles (blue) and he repaired umbrellas. So cast your mind back, does anyone remember these people?

Brian
brianblaenboy

Re: NOTABLE RELATIVES

Postby daveporthcawl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Brian
There was a Gwilym I recall matching your description (club foot) who used to cut hair in Seeley's Tobacconists/Barbers next to the Workmen's Hall in the 40s. The system for payment was a coloured check which Gwilym handed to customers who then paid Mr Seeley at the shop counter. The barber shop was usually full........plenty of time to look at a large picture of old men playing football with the caption "MUDDIED OAFS IN FRONT OF GOAL" and lots of tobacco adverts............"CRAVEN A" etc.
I had white curly hair then.
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

daveporthcawl wrote:Brian
.......... I had white curly hair then.
Dave

Sounds as if you are ' follicular challenged' as they say - Dave
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Or he might have gone GREY, John.
I remember Glyn having to put a "Poof" on the chair for me.
But when I was able to go on my own I only got as far as Jenny's in North Rd.
.......Her daughter Susan might have had something to do with that.
RogerWood

Postby JohnPitt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Ah well my progress has been brown to grey then grey to white - the transition is nearly complete!
JohnPitt

Postby bobjones1938 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:32 am

Hi, I lived in 20 Oak Street in the 40's and 50's and remember the family in no. 19 very well. Gwilym was quite badly deformed and had a club foot but my biggest memory of him was that he was the person who came around the street ringing a large hand-bell whenever there was anything significant to tell people in the street.This was during the war of course.

I often wonder if anyone from those days still lives in Oak St., or indeed - if they are still alive. I believe I could name almost every family in the street during the war. Any further information would be welcomed.

Bob Jones
bobjones1938

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 am

Bob, I am chuffed that some-one remembers my family. I can remember visiting that house as a very small child with my grandmother (Mary Ann's younger sister) and "children should be seen and not heard" was the policy. However, can you remember if there was another family in Ferndale at the time with similar deformities? Back of my mind says there was a teacher in the Junior School with a club foot, so were they all related?

Thanks again

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby daveporthcawl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Bob
Can we assume that you were born in 1938?
Here are some Oak St names to test your memory.
Pam Hicks....... Rita Lloyd........ Sam Thomas with sons Iori, Griff and Islwyn(boxer)........Benny Evans......Roy Williams
Alwyn Davies(Algy)........Will (my uncle)and Averina Davies and son Ron (my cousin who died in 1980). Averina died in May aged 101.
Rita and Alwyn were in my class in North Rd Infants, Junior and Grammar Schools. They (with Griff) are in in the FGS photos I recently posted.
Regards
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby bobjones1938 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Dave - I can't remember a teacher with a club foot, sorry. I do remember most of the names you passed on. Sam and Peggy Thomas lived next door and I called them Uncle and Auntie (they were all uncles and aunties in those days, in fac I had my first bath in a bathroom at the Thomas' the night efore I got married. The Hicks were then two doors down, Roy Williams and his sister Phyllis were three doors up ( I believe Phyllis was the first divorcee in the street according to the gossip!) A little further down was Dai Ref who taught sport at FGS and his son Ken Williams. Then there were the Hollards, across the sreet were the James' - Hilary, Carol and Edwin to name a few! Just up from them were Jeff af Lynne Edwards. Jeff went through school with me until I had to leave Grammar school to go down the mines at 15!!! would love to hear from some of them
bobjones1938

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Bob

I had a pal from Oak street in my class at infants (and Juniors) called Dennis Jones - any relation? his house was about halfway down on the left. His DOB would have been similar to mine late 45 or early 46.

Dennis made contact with me in 2006 and I learned that he had a managerial job at an Oxford computer firm, but sadly is no longer with us.
JohnPitt

Next

Return to People of Ferndale