Ferndale Grammar School 1947

Not quite sure what I think this forum is for. Old photos and stories of interesting Ferndale folk? Mystery photos of people? Let me know what you think.

Re: Ferndale Grammar School 1947

Postby darran » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Jinnie, or Sarah Jane, Morris was my great aunt and she is the first female teacher next to the men. And you have her autograph as well. I had one year with Beryl Williams as head at Porth County and she wasn't a patch on Miss Hudd - or Bessie - who had retired. The gossip was that she got the job because her father was a councillor!
I'm sure my uncle is in that photo too - Phil Roberts.

Sheila
darran

Postby darran » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:03 pm

I forgot to say that yes, Jinnie Morris taught History.

Sheila
darran

Postby daveporthcawl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Just a comment about Beryl who sadly died a year ago. Her first French lesson in FGS was to our Form 1A in Sep 1943. She drew a large "V" on the blackboard and placed those unpronounceable French vowels on each side..............the kids sounded as if they were being sick in their vain efforts to speak them. She later got us singing Frere Jaques but Jinnie Morries came in and tore her off a strip for the noise. Funniest incident was when Neville Evans let loose a white mouse (probably from your mouse farm John) and Beryl screamed and jumped up on the Table. A very attractive lady...............never wore or needed make-up. It puzzled us that she never married but in those days it seemed to be the norm for lady teachers. I failed miserably at French in our School Cert of 1948 but got my Higher School Cert in 1950...........Maths Phys Chem. The system changed to A Levels in 1951.
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 am

Dave, by 1957 when Mary & I were in her class, she really had that 'strict demeanour' that would not allow any tom-foolery of any kind. However, and this is only my personal opinion, I thought our teachers were on the whole very good at their jobs.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:46 am

brianblaenboy wrote:Dave, by 1957 when Mary & I were in her class, she really had that 'strict demeanour' that would not allow any tom-foolery of any kind. However, and this is only my personal opinion, I thought our teachers were on the whole very good at their jobs.

Brian

Yes they were, on the whole, but I found the last 2 years of Beryl W tedious because instead of coaching those weaker in the subject, she would spend far too large a percentage of her time with rants about behaviour, attitude and the wider school picture which really wasn't her remit until she went to Porth County
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:53 am

A much clearer record of the

1947 Ferndale Grammar School Photoroll

can now be found HERE

thanks to a much better scan sent me by Dave. Thanks Dave
JohnPitt

Postby daveporthcawl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Many thanks for the superb editing John, and the posting on FACEBOOK. Will add some tags.
Agree with you about Beryl W. Even in those early days she spent much time telling us how inferior FGS was compared with Porth County. That went down rather badly with the boys. I just did not have the aptitude for languages at school and chose French when I could have chosen Welsh in 2nd year.............did get a DAI IAWN in my first report from Rhys-Jones. C'EST LA VIE
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby TomPritch » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 pm

I left school in July 1947 and missed the photo by a few months. I can spot Emrys Howells [Boss] in the middle of the picture.Other teachers are Miss Morris History,Miss Jacobs English[Della]'
I think to the right of Mr Howells is Mr Phillips Geography? then Mr Malson Maths ,Milo Phys Physics,'Tommy Chem Chemistry ,Ricco Jones Welsh,Dicky Wood Woodwork + Metalwork, I think David Leslie
Williams[dai Les} Geogrphy. Lewis the Gym. Among the boys I can spot Terry Williams Head Boy,John Jones, Griff Thoma, Glan Morgan, John Taylor , Tal Jenkins. Emrys Howells was the first head Master I think. If you look at an over head picture of the school the layout of the buildings and corridors show the initials of his name EH. another bit of useless information.
TomP
TomPritch

Postby daveporthcawl » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Have added many tags to all the photos Tom but would welcome a few more from you.
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby TomPritch » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:30 am

Dave I think i have exhausted my input. I think you have done very well in tabbing so many on the Photograph. If you consider that all the students on the photo graph if still living would be aged between 75 and 83.Many would have no access or no interest in the internet.I was surprised to see Glyn Cooper tagged.Glyn was from Wattstown we Both played in the school rugby team and were both members of the Ynyshir,St Annes boy scouts.I was in contact with John Jones about four years ago through' friends reunited he said he was in contact with Dorothy Ryan.She was in our class but I cant place her on the Photo
Griff Thomas died some ten years or more ago he became a teacher and was at some time Chairman of the Rhondda Education Committee.Keep up the good work.
TomP
TomPritch

PreviousNext

Return to People of Ferndale