Ferndale Grammar School 1947

Not quite sure what I think this forum is for. Old photos and stories of interesting Ferndale folk? Mystery photos of people? Let me know what you think.

Re: Ferndale Grammar School 1947

Postby daveporthcawl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Tom
You seem to be unaware that Glyn Cooper sadly died in Chepstow a few years ago and John Jones passed away in Crawley last year.
Their respective widows are both tagged in the 47 photos as Margaret Condon and Mairwen Davies. You will remember that Glyn and David Parry were props in the FGS Rugby Team. I recall Gran Morgan as a very gifted scrum-half.
Our 1950 Team is on link below and on the Facebook link for FGS

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97 ... v1950.png/

Good luck
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby TomPritch » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Dave
I was aware that John Jones had died,but I had lost all track of Glyn.John was a very useful full back and yes Gran Morgan was a very good scrum half .Dai Parry and myself Joined the School 1st XV at a rather tender age.In the Winter of 1945 Due to Sickness and injuries the The School Team were very short of players and David and I were selected to play although we were 4th year students. Mr Malson
who was our 4a Form Master was full of praise but in his usual way in front of the class remarked that he played at scrum half and was barely 6 stone and he played with brains not brawn.I only missed one game after that on the Saturday we buried my grandfather.I hope you don't find all this boring but I could fill an A4 page on Mr Masons Sayings and antics.
TomP
Is David Parry still around and do you know the whereabouts of Ron Ninnis,Ray Lewis and Ivor blondey Thomas
TomPritch

Postby valpowell35 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi,

I have just joined this site and have enjoyed reading your comments on the teachers at FGS. Brings back many memories. I was at the school 1946 to 1951 but lived in Tylorstown. I have been looking at the imageshack photo and was pleased to see two ex boyfriends (while at school!!) i.e. Mervyn Davies and Leslie Taylor. I wonder what has happened to them!!

I remember "Willie French" being very strict and I agree she was a very good looking woman. I completely lost touch with everyone when I left to work in Cardiff.

Val Powell (nee Evans)
valpowell35

Postby howard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Welcome Val

If you mean Leslie Taylor Duffryn House then he was my cousin, passed away a few years ago In High Wycombe
having finished his working years as head groundsman of the grammar school there. His brother Ray, a good athlete,
was my contemporary and has cropped up in previous sporting photos on this forum.

regards

Howard (Lloyd)
howard

Postby valpowell35 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:20 am

Thank you Howard for passing on that information. I 'went out' with Les prior to and during his National Service time in Benghazi. I am sorry he has passed away. His brother Colin was in my class in school - is he still alive? I also remember Ray and Les' mother. Did you go to FGS, if so what year?

Val.
valpowell35

Postby howard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Val

Colin had a long RAF career but sadly he, Ray & Les have all died though their sister Evelyn,named after their mother of course, still lives in the
family home.
Some may remeber her late husband Frank Melhuish well known as a milkman in Ferndale & Maerdy.
I had two spells at FGS, 1942-9 as a pupil then in the mid fifties teaching maths!

regards

Howard
howard

Postby valpowell35 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:02 am

Hi Howard,

Are you tagged on the 1947 photo? The only Howard I knew was Howard Lloyd.
As well as the 1947 photo I also have the 1951 photo which I hope to download to the Facebook site if I can master the way to do it!!!

My sister Eileen, myself and some cousins are on the 1947 photo and my brother Alan is on the 1951 and 1957 photos. He became a science teacher at FGS before his untimely death at 38.

Regards,
Val.
valpowell35

Postby lovelygirll » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:50 am

My sister Hannah is in the 1947 photo. She sadly passed away seven years ago.
lovelygirll

Postby howard » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:02 pm

HI Val

Yes I'm Howard Lloyd, Brynhyfryd, not a facebook user so not sure if I'm tagged in the '47 photo but appear in the second row up, along from
the staff.
To my left as you look is John Lloyd (no relation), right are David Morgan,Keith Johns, Norman Lloyd, David Burrell, Ken Jones,
one whose name escapes me then John Jones Taff St who died not so long ago.
Coincidentally when later maths adviser in South Glamorgan I worked alongside Helena Braithwaite who you suggest is in the
Ogmore camp photo just posted to the forum- don't think it is her but will ask if I see her.

regards Howard
howard

Postby valpowell35 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am

Hello Howard,

I did not realise that you were Howard Lloyd! We have known each other "in a different life"!!! I worked at the South Glamorgan Teachers' Centre for 17 years and we met many times. I am Val from the office - I am sure you will remember me!! I retired twenty years ago.

If you do see Helena Braithwaite, I apologise for the mistake I have probably made! She used to live quite near me some years ago. By the way, I tagged you on the photo ages ago.

Nice speaking with you again, :)

Val.
valpowell35

PreviousNext

Return to People of Ferndale