Ferndale Grammar photoroll 1951

Not quite sure what I think this forum is for. Old photos and stories of interesting Ferndale folk? Mystery photos of people? Let me know what you think.

Ferndale Grammar photoroll 1951

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:40 am

Val Powell has kindly sent me her 1951 photoroll for scanning and can be seen on

Facebook Here

Thanks Val you're a star
JohnPitt

Re: Ferndale Grammar photoroll 1951

Postby daveporthcawl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Well done John and Val. Have added a few tags. Very good memories of inspirational Chemistry Teacher Ray Jenkins from Porth who sadly died young after his marriage to Gym Teacher Olwen. Teacher Brynmor Jones was a superb pianist and accompanied the variety group called the MELVILLE SINGERS who were based in the Ferndale Labour Club. They had a brilliant tenor called Dai Thomas who raised the roof with his Nessun Dorma and Your Tiny Hand is Frozen. My uncle Will Davies was a member of the group along with Martin Jefferies, Bryn "Badger", Joby Davies and Glan Matthews.
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby brianblaenboy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Would that be the Dai Thomas from Blaenllechau, also had a brother, first name escapes me but could have started with a 'M'? I remember him in the Imps Choir and certainly was a good singer. I have the 30 year history of the Imps choir - shall have a look at the names mentioned throughout the pages.
brianblaenboy

Postby valpowell35 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:00 am

Dave,
I am so glad you could name Ray Jenkins as I too remember the sadness of his passing and his short marriage to Olwen. I wish I had the memory now to be able to name all the teachers but thank goodness some of you can do it. Although I am not in this photograph, my late brother is and many of my form although I can't recall their names!! I left in the summer of '51. I am on the 1947 roll also my late sister and some cousins.
valpowell35

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 pm

daveporthcawl wrote:Well done John and Val. Have added a few tags. Very good memories of inspirational Chemistry Teacher Ray Jenkins from Porth who sadly died young after his marriage to Gym Teacher Olwen. Teacher Brynmor Jones was a superb pianist and accompanied the variety group called the MELVILLE SINGERS who were based in the Ferndale Labour Club. They had a brilliant tenor called Dai Thomas who raised the roof with his Nessun Dorma and Your Tiny Hand is Frozen. My uncle Will Davies was a member of the group along with Martin Jefferies, Bryn "Badger", Joby Davies and Glan Matthews.
Dave

How old was Joby Dave?

I had an uncle in Blaen called Joby - lived in long row.
JohnPitt

Return to People of Ferndale