Not quite sure what I think this forum is for. Old photos and stories of interesting Ferndale folk? Mystery photos of people? Let me know what you think.

Postby susanwoodbridge » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Hello Everyone.
Ionly found this website today and I love it. The old photos are fascinating
and seeing so many names I recognise is amazing.
I lived between 43 Darran Terrace , with my great aunt and uncle, Mr & Mrs Holder
(they had a son Dennis) and 34 Rhondda Terrace with my great aunt May and Mongi,
Elizabeth Roberts. I lived there from about 1950 - 62 . I went to the infants at Darran Terr
the lower school and the first year at Ferndale Grammar.
I was friends with the Tuchlis in Darran and Susan Richards, she had a brother Timothy.
The lived in Druslwyn which was the big house overlooking the park, off Llyn crescent.
I have been trying to contact Susan for years so if anyone knows where she is now I would be delighted.

thanks again for this gret forum
Susan
susanwoodbridge

Re: NEW MEMBER

Postby darran » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Susan

Welcome. Is Woodbridge your maiden name? I was living at 21 Darran ( almost at the top of the hilly part of Darran)at the time you were there but I can't place you! I knew the Tuchlis but my sister Margaret was more their age and I played tennis with Tim Richards in the mid 1960's. I seem to recall the name Dennis Holder too. I was at Darran Infants from 1949 - 53.

Sheila Morris( as was)
darran

Postby susanwoodbridge » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks Sheila , and Alan

That was my maiden name. As I said I lived with my aunt and uncle, the Holders. I think Charles Silver lived next door.
Alan (I think it was Davies) lived opposite and we were in the same class. I remember Michael Tamplin
a few doors down from the Tuchlis. I was friends with Wirka. Apart from Susan Richards I remember Helen Davies and Viv Edwards.
The only people I still know are Mair and Tom Condon who still live in Rhondda Road. I've seen them mentioned here.
Mair was a great friend of my mother who was called Betty Bee then. Dennis worked at the cinema for a while . He married
Eurwen Francis from Brown Street.

Susan
susanwoodbridge

Postby darran » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 pm

I played a lot with Michael Tamplin when we were young. Charlie Silver and Alan Davies I remember. Helen Davies lived in Rhondda Terrace and her older sister Enid became head of Darran Park Primary school (in the old Grammar school building). My parents were friendly with Mair and Tom Condon; Mair's sister Gwynneth moved back to Ferndale and moved next door to my parents who had now moved to the bottom end of Darran. You must remember when all that family, including Emrys - or Jumbo- lived at 45 Darran which is at the end of the row? Mochyn, who started this Ferndale forum has ancestral links with No. 45 as well!

Sheila
darran

Postby susanwoodbridge » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:34 pm

I don't remember Helen's sister at all. I know they lived at the other end of
Rhondda Terr to my auntie. Bessie Thomas lived the other side of us. She was a teacher
when my mother and Dennis were at school and Arhur Duggan who I think was a conductor lived the other side.
I remember the Hicks family who were at the end near the steps.

The last time I came to Ferndale was for the funeral Mair's other sister Ruth. That was very sad.
They all lived on the end house till the girls married. When Mair got married her dad gave all the kids money
outside the house.
Mair always rings when it's the anniversary of my mums death or her birthday and Christmas.
Is mochyn related to them ?

Susan
susanwoodbridge

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi, Arthur Duggan was certainly a conductor of either the Pendyrus or Morlais Choir - can't remember which, but I would have thought some-one on here will know.

Timothy Richards I do remember, he also started playing bowls if memory serves me correct. Keith Phillips who was in my class in school was friendly with him, and lived near each other I think..
brianblaenboy

Postby howard » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Yes Arthur Duggan was conductor of the Pendyrus for many years,had a bakery at the Park end corner of Frederick St
Howard
howard

Postby GaryLockyer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:20 am

Hi again everyone - sorry I have been absent for so long.
No problems - just working to hard that I hate the sight of my computer screen by the time I get home.
Anyway, Arthur Duggan -conductor of the Pendyrus choir. Lived in 35 Rhondda Tce. Parked his old three-wheeler bread delivery van in the garage outside No 30 Rhondda Tce. with Duffryn House on the Darran Tce side.
The garage faced directly down the street towards the Grammar School.
I agree with Howard, the bakery was at the Frederick St entrance to the park.
It always amazed me how they managed to get so many trays into his little van.
The wonderful smell of bread and cakes would hit you as soon as he opened the back of the van. :D
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 am

GaryLockyer wrote:Hi again everyone - sorry I have been absent for so long.
No problems - just working to hard that I hate the sight of my computer screen by the time I get home.
:D

Nice to see u pop up again Gary dont leave it so long next time. 'Gee even squirrels only hibernate 4 months! :lol:
JohnPitt

Return to People of Ferndale