Sketch of Tylorstown

Use this forum to post images of Tylorstown, old and new. I don't have the capacity to allow users to post images directly to the forum I'm afraid so you'll have to host them somewhere else.

Sketch of Tylorstown

Postby valpowell35 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:23 am

I came across this drawing recently which was given to me by a late family member many years ago. It was drawn in 1968 and shows The Jubilee at the junction of Pleasant View and Penrhys Road (where I lived) and up toward Queens Square. I don't know who it was drawn by unfortunately. Does anyone know where it originated?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjpowell/p ... h-1968.jpg
valpowell35

Re: Sketch of Tylorstown

Postby Cymro1 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:50 am

Interesting sketch of Tylorstown I've just seen as a new member, I lived in Penrhys road for 23 years before getting married. Where in Penrhys road did you live Val Powell as I don't recall anyone by the name of Powell living in Penrhys road during my time. I lived at No. 30 myself and still visit when I get back to Wales. I now live in Perth Western Australia and have done so for the last 27 years.

Anyone wanting information on Perth or this state I'd be pleased to help if I can.

Best wishes to all the posters on this forum.

Cymro1
Cymro1

Postby brianblaenboy » Sun May 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Cymro1 - Welcome, it's nice to see people from across the world getting in touch.
brianblaenboy

Postby Cymro1 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:49 am

Thankyou blaenboy, It's nice to be able to have links with "Home"

Your user name would suggest you are from Blaen of course and a good friend of mine living not far from me here is also from Blaen, His name is Chris Burgoyne, Would you know of him or maybe his family who still live there? I'll look in again tomorrow to see your reply if any. In the meantime have a great day with Best wishes from Down Under.

Cymro1
Cymro1

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon May 05, 2014 5:10 am

Not certain who the artist is/was, but I do remember that the Grog SHop in Pontypridd had a very large selection of these pencil drawings. They were all around the walls of the shop when we used to go in to buy the plaster-cast models of Barry John, Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams, Merv 'The Swerve" etc.
I also think that one of Max Boyce's LP covers had a similar line drawing.
I am not sure if the shop is still there - although it was when i was last home - gee that was 1994, 20 yers ago.
Doesn't time fly when you are having fun.
Yes - John Pitt, I am still here, slaving away in the office in Sydney.
Thinking of retiring in a few months time after I turn 70.
All the best from Sydney and welcome Cymro over ther in Perth WA.
Let me know when you are next due in Sydney and I am sure I can arrange a refreshing beer or 7.
The Rugby Club at Circular Quay is always a convenient meeting spot.
GaryLockyer

Postby Cymro1 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Gary, Thankyou for the invitation when in Sydney but I'm afraid my travelling days are curtailed quite drastically now as my wife is not in the best of health and being her carer I don't get around too much these days.

We have been back home on 9 different occasions, visited friends in Tassie once and Queensland twice and also been up to Asia a few times so if I don't do any more flying I won't miss it.

This site is a wonderful way of keeping in touch with "Home" and I also subscribe to the forum "Aberdareonline" and have done for around 7 years and made some very good friends as a result of that, Not only in Aberdare but around the world also which has been quite enjoyable and satisfying over those years. If I make half as many friends on here I will be very pleased indeed.

Should you Gary ever get over to the wild west I would be more than happy to meet up to welcome you to Perth but make it in the Spring or Autumn should it happen as Perth can be so hot in the summer months 7 pints would'nt probably be enough to quench your thirst and besides it would more than likely, see me ending up under the table nowadays. ha! ha! One question before I go, Where back home did you live and were you any relation of the Lockyer garage family at the top of Tylorstown ?

Have a great day butty with best wishes.

cymro1
Cymro1

Postby darran » Mon May 05, 2014 4:09 pm

I have a sketch of Ferndale by this artist. It is of The Strand with Trerhondda chapel in the centre. I have it somewhere but will have to search for it. I googled 'sketches of Ferndale' to see if I could find the artist's name ( which is on my sketch!) and there were no other drawings by him ( I'm sure it's a he ) but there are a few other drawings/paintings among the images on this link

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sketc ... 51&bih=830

Sheila
darran

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon May 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi Cymro 1, the Burgoyne family rings a bell, however as I delivered the Echo for the top half of Blaenllechau, and did the morning papers only on a Saturday, I recognise a lot of names. Something in the back of this aged brain tells me that some others from Blaenllechau emigrated to Perth area some 15-20 years ago, have an inkling that they were connected to the 'Matthews' family from Commercial Street, could be wrong of course - time is not good for such intricate memories.
Like you, I'm a carer, and have been for many years, so I understand!

Best Wishes to you and all the Welsh folk in Perth!

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby GaryLockyer » Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 am

Hi Cymro1,
My grandfather founded the garge at the bottom of Oakland Terrace - W.H.Lockyer & Co.
During the war my father brought home a friend of his that he met whilst in the Navy - Stan(ley) Peacey.
Stan married my father's sister - my auntie - Norah.
When my grandfather died in 1961 my father and Stan formed the company Lockyer & Peacey Ltd.
I learnt of my grandfathers' death when I was phoning dad to let him know my GCE results at Porth County.
The garage had a BMC dealership, selling Austins and MGs.
Later they transferred to Ford.
My father - Trevor retired and sold out to Stan in the early 1970's due to ill health. He died in December 1991.
Later, when Stan decided to retire, his daughter Kim and her husband Keith Parslow took over running the business.
Unfortunately I find that the business is no longer there and it came as a bit of a shock when i visited Ferndale via Google maps to find that it a combination of a car wash and an upholstery business..
My mother - Barbara, died 3 years to the day after my father in 1994.
I have not been back to Ferndale since I left in Jan 1995 following the funeral on the Christmas Eve1994.
So, yes, I am connected to the garage.
Not certain when I will next be in WA, but it is on the cards for the next couple of years as we have friends over there that we want to visit once we retire.
Keep posting poeople.
GaryLockyer

Postby Cymro1 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:05 am

Hi Gary

I remember the garage well, Whether or not you know I'm not sure of course but years ago there was a very unfortunate accident at the garage when a young boy was blowing up a truck tyre and under the extreme pressure the locking ring came adrift and went into the air and came down on his head and killed him. It shocked the town at that time as of course everyone knew everyone back then and a tradgedy like that had an effect on every body in the town.

I can't recall the name of the boy but I know he was quite young

Have you any recollection of that or perhaps been told of it by relatives.

I hope this recollection does'nt offend you at all as it certainly was'nt my intention, If it has please accept my sincere apologies.

If you do come over this way and would like to meet up I would be more than happy to catch up with you.

Best wishes.

cymro1.
Cymro1

Next

Return to Images of Tylorstown